How has technology impacted the students’ learning abilities?
In today’s world full of competition and struggle to achieve the best. Wherever and whenever one goes, technology is one major factor that has had a major impact on automating nearly all work processes. Technology has even entered the education sector and has made major changes to the same since then.
With both the positive and negative implications that it has had on this sector, it has emerged as one of the best innovations in the field of education. Complex procedures have been made simpler with its introduction which has laid a fair foundation for learning with such ease.
With so many digital learning tools in the modern educational market, such as artificial intelligence, AR and VR, chatbots and methods like gamification, the education industry has left no chance of sitting back with its conventional methods of learning. That being the case, this blog will discover both positive and negative aspects that technology has on the education industry.
Positive Implications of Technology on Education
The positive implications of technology in the education industry are far more than the negative ones. It has drastically improved how learning is perceived by students and teachers. Following are some of the positive aspects that technology has given rise to in terms of education.
- Increased engagement in the classroom – Be it an online or offline classroom, technology has given rise to active learning. It has initiated two-way communication between teachers and students. Technology acts as a stimulation to encourage educators to introduce innovative methods to teach complex subjects in an interesting way. Without wasting class time, technology gives a boost to the flipped classroom concept which also increases student retention.
- Simplifying complexity – In the traditional teaching method, students found it difficult to verbally understand their teacher’s technical concepts. But with the advent of technology used in education, students are now able to easily grasp complex learnings interactively. Using visuals and virtual reality tools has helped students to encounter learning wonderfully.
- Time effective – Never think that using technology in the classroom could slow down the learning process. Instead, there are several technological applications that help students to speedily grasp concepts, sometimes even without the help of any educator’s explanation. Talking about other advantages of technology that minimizes academic time, because the technology uses online tools or software-related applications, it eliminates the cumbersome tasks of photocopying and physically sharing notes. Everything is available on the learning portals that can be accessed easily by students from anywhere and at any time.
- Self-reflection– Self-reflection is possible by students who want to mentor their performance in class, from time to time. Database mechanisms via technology are structured in a way to facilitate self-evaluation by students where students can check their status of work and not repeatedly go to teachers to know their tendencies.
- Improves technical skills – When it is observed that every field requires an individual to be technologically affluent, improvising technology in the learning years can help a person to get good hands-on how to use technology. Many institutions have integrated STEM learning through different STEM apps and this early proficiency in technology can help a student build confidence in presenting knowledge and guide them in handling the practicalities of life very well. With this skill, a student is bound to be technically strong and can get more innovative ideas by himself to implicate technology in everyday life, and not just in education. This skill helps a student to evoke problem-solving and critical thinking skills over time.
Cons of Technology Adversely Affecting a Student’s Learning Abilities
With so many positive impacts that technology has on education, there are minimal negative impacts that it has on students. But these impacts cannot be ignored as minute carelessness can adversely subside the actual goodness of technology in the education industry. Let us now briefly discuss the negative implications of technology on a student’s learning ability.
- Hamper’s social skills – Too much of anything is not good for growth. When a student understands that answers to their every question is available online, it restricts their brain to think more by themselves. It hampers their creativity and imagination to a great extent. So, when students go out in the practical world and communicate, they fall short of their ideas and find it difficult to communicate.
- Increased laziness – Let us suppose that a teacher assigns a task to students to write up an essay. Students, who are familiar with the easy approach of finding content online, refrain from using their creativity to write the essay and rather rely on online content for support. This highly addictive habit restricts a student’s brain to develop and kills the cognitive skills of a student.
- Big distraction – With the numerous pros of technology in a student’s life, excessive use of technology also has some negative illustrations that students get familiar with. Such hazardous distractions act as a huge distraction to a student. Which can be morally dangerous. Teachers and parents must make sure that students are not exposed to such online content.
- Negatively affects health – With the introduction of technology, students laze to move around. Everything is offered ready-made to them such as reports being automatically generated or calculations being made speedily without any brainstorming. With such automation, students tend to stay glued to their screens, and hog junk food while simply sitting and watching sessions and not being physically active. The constant use of technology thus induces headaches and migraines at an early age.
To encapsulate, it is important to balance the positive implications of technology on a student’s learning abilities with the negative ones because then only a student can reap the actual benefits of the same. This technology is a great boon to the education system if its negative impacts are not overlooked.